Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pie for Dinner

Sorry Ian, this is hardly a BBQ recipe. I have to say I'm pretty excited that it's getting to that time of year though! But I made this tasty pie a couple weeks ago and have been meaning to post it. Anyhow, my mother gave me her old copy of the Moosewood Cookbook a few months ago. I love this cookbook, I've read it cover to cover, yet I rarely cook out of it. I've decided to change that starting with the Spinach Ricotta Pie.


The Moosewood's Spinach Ricotta Pie

Yield: One 9" pie

Cut together 1 cup of flour and 1/3 cup of cold unsalted butter and ¼ t. salt. Then add about 3 Tbs. cold buttermilk and mix together lightly. Gather together into a disk, wrap and chill for at least an hour.

Roll out into a thin disc to fill a 9" pie pan and set aside.

The Filling:

1 lb. ricotta cheese
3 eggs, beaten
½ lb. chopped spinach – sautéed in butter with black pepper, ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. butter.
1 small onion, diced
3 tbs. flour
½ c. grated sharp cheese
dash nutmeg

1 c. sour cream
paprika

Mix everything together, blending well. Spread into unbaked pie shell. Top with sour cream, spreading to the edges. Sprinkle generously with paprika.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes.

3 comments:

~I said...

that cookbook rules. can we all have a potluck and each bring something from the moosewood? Sometime....

Rachel said...

looks yummy. i like your pie pan. it's pretty

Becca said...

Thanks! It's actually Denise's. The best part is there is an apple pie recipe inscribed on the bottom. She has an orange one too, with a pumpkin pie recipe on it.