Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mich's Meaty Mole Chili





The meat extravaganza (and a few special additions) brings this dish to life in my rendition of mole chili. This recipe is in reverence to a river trip that I took last fall; running the gates of ladore. It was my first ever multi-day river trip, and I had no idea what was in store for me. Aside from phenomenal scenery and wonderful company, the culinary delights that came out from the woodwork was equally inspiring. On this very trip, I had the best chili that I've ever had in my life, made by a fellow river mate. Tonight, as I spooned this delicious dish, I was taken back to the scenic landscape of Ladore, the campfires, and the people. Thanks again Joshie, for an amazing trip!


6 garlic cloves
1 red onion
3 cups dried beans
2 cans diced tomato (or fresh tomatoes if it's in season! diced, drained, pureed)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 12oz bottle of dark beer (I used some homemade porter)
2 cups corn
1/2 lb bacon
1/2 lb venison
1 lb ground meat
2 sausages
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 Tbsp molasses
1 cinnamon stick
5 Tsp chili powder (if you're lucky like me, you'll have some stashed from NM!)
To flavor: cinnamon, cumin, salt/pepper, honey
*Before starting, soak the beans over night.

1. Brown meat separately, then set aside.
2. In a 6-8 qt dutch oven, saute the garlic and then add the diced onion. Add beer until it is reduced.
3. Add, tomatoes, stock, and the remainder of the ingredients.
4. Add meat in, and simmer, or put in oven at 400 degrees, for at least 2 hours. The longer the better!
5. Serve w/a side of homemade corn bread, salad, and toppings (plain yogurt, cheese, and fresh red onion).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh I am SO going to make this! Yum!