Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lard; Why are we so afraid of it?



 LARD...dun dun dun. Who cooks with lard? "I don't want all that fat going straight to my ass... talk about a a heart attack waiting to happen...I don't eat stuff like that." Sound familiar? 

Why are we all of the sudden so afraid of something our ancestors have been doing for centuries? I know that many of my favorite recipes from home call for lard... or if you are weary of animal fat you can opt for the Crisco substitute, which I always have been. But, I've got to thinking, hy is it that we look down upon traditional ways of cooking as unhealthy, and instead use processed chemically derived ingredients? 

Crisco was invented before the civil war when a soap maker James Proctar, and a candle maker William Gandle got together and invented it as a response the the monopoly that was held over lard and tallow, ingredients needed to produce their products. Scientist E.C Kayser helped them develop the science of hydrogenation which changes oils into solids, creating a lard-like substance.  It wasn't until 1911, that Procter & Gamble realized they could turn a profit by introducing Crisco into the public for cooking and baking. It was marketed under the slogan "A healthier alternative to cooking with animal fats...and more economical than butter". It was an amazing marketing scheme that demonized lard forever.  As we now know, Crisco is not healthier than other forms of fat, and hydrogenated oil has been found to increase heart disease because our bodies have a hard time processing the man made chemical  structure.

Despite all the new information about hydrogenated oils and transfats, people still seem scared of the one thing that should be the least threatening, the traditional way. Lard is all natural and worked just fine for generation after generation before we decided that we can create something better (which obviously didn't work). How disconnected from our food and our traditions have we become? How can we believe it is more healthy to put chemically altered substances in our bodies as opposed to something natural?

A couple weeks ago I made bizcochitos the traditional way...and they were delicious!

5 comments:

Uhleetaw said...

And OMG- bean burritos where the beans are made with REAL lard, basically taste like heaven.
Everything in moderation right?

Becca said...

Good for you! I really think you're right. Most "fat free" products have 2 or 3 times the sugar to compensate for the loss in flavor anyway.... diabetes anyone? If I had a good source of it I would totally use lard more often... my Mom made a Christmas pudding this year with Suet, the special lard from the kidneys, and it was soooooo good. Where did you get your lard??

Unknown said...

Real tasty tortillas are made with lard.
I love Mexican food and you can call me a lard ass anytime :)

Mom said...

Going back to your roots????? Haha.

Rachel said...

I think the lard made a great texture, but I could detect a hint of meatiness to it also. My first reaction upon eating some dough: "uhhh... this tastes like bacon..." But I think that lard would make for great pie crust, especially with quiche.