Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Amazing Burritos

The other day, I was inspired to make burritos when Grandma took me to Vallarta (the Mexican grocery store down here).

First,I asked Paco how to make beans in a crockpot, and she explained that you just put beans, water, onion, garlic, and bacon in the pot and cook. Easy enough! I threw it all in overnight on low, and the smell in the morning was amazing! I decided to make refried beans, so I dumped the beans directly into a blender and pulsed until they were pretty smooth. Next, I heated a pan with oil, and yes, refried the beans for about 15-20 minutes. Super easy and delicious!

I also made spanish rice. I know that this probably isn't really the right way to make it, but it is how my Mexican roommates from studying abroad taught me. First, I cooked some white rice. Next I blended some tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a food processor until smooth. I added the tomato mixture to the rice (it will be soupy- you can add water to it if needed), and cooked for another 10 minutes or so. Normally, I would add some chili but Grandma doesn't do spicy so I added lime and cilantro instead for extra flavor.

Lastly, I made salsa verde from tomatillos. I took off the tomatillo husk and cut each one in half. I placed the cut tomatillos (cut side down) on an oiled pan and baked them on about 400 until the skins started browning. Then I put them in the food processor with a little onion, lime, sugar, salt and cilantro. Tasty!

Other items I included in my burritos: I cooked some peppers and squash, oaxaca cheese, avocado, lime, and cilantro. In case you haven't noticed by now, I don't use measurements when I cook. I have a small bowl handy and taste as I go. That way, my food tastes how I want it to in the end. I know that some people find that frustrating, but hey, I have no idea how much salt I added. I added enough so that it tasted right to me.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Helllllllls yeah. I can't wait till you get to our new home and we bean out! I've been eating beans about four meals a week. I can't wait to try some of your meat fat beans, sounds delish.

Rachel said...

uh oh. i work in close contact with people. that much beans can't be good for my nurse/patient relations.....

Arielita said...

Why do beans have such a bad rap? I really don;t see any correlation between bean intake and flagellant behavior...but maybe I am just a New mexican.
The burritos looked amazing rach...way to go!

Mom said...

I leave out the bacon and add some red chile powder, a little cumin, oregano and cilantro....mmmm. New mexicans eat them at least once a day!

Rachel said...

I'm not going to deny it: beans make me fart. I didn't grow up in NM, maybe that is why...