Saturday, June 6, 2009

Aristic Response

This is part of a  project I did for class. I had to create a piece of art about who I learned to do something...I chose cooking; Cómo Aprendí Cocinar. I will put up a picture of the whole piece. I translated it into English but it doesn't sound as pretty :(

The recipes of a woman are like her, always changing and developing.

 

In the beginning, I only the know the secretes of my mom. She taught me how make my grandmother’s Ruggalach. Even though I never met her I still prepare her cookies today.

 

Since then I have many memories of time spent in the kitchen with numerous women (and a few men)

 

Thanks to them and their knowledge about cooking  and food I now cook with pleasure and pride.

 

With the sounds of pots and smells of spices in the background I have learned about similarities and diferences in ingredients, preferences and perspectives.

 

They are my mothers, my sisters and my friends and I carry all they have taught me in my recipe book and my soul

 

The truth is that one shares much more than food in the kitchen.

Who I am has formed in mnay ways becuase of the time I have spent with these people cooking and chatting.

 

I am like a recipe: those who have shared their secrets with me, not only  about the kitchen, but also about life, are the ingredients.

 

 

2 comments:

Mom said...

Beautiful words....

Rachel said...

i like it. you should submit it to a cooking magazine. as if you have extra time to do that....