Monday, August 17, 2009

Oddball Veggies: Part I

The gardening in Corvallis this year has been interesting, albeit a bit slow for the tomatoes for some reason. Every year I try to grow several new vegetables, sometimes just to find out if I like them. Among them are the veggies that I just can't grow or aren't very palatable to me. The Radicchio just didn't pan out, as it tasted similar to what I imagine Skunk-cabbage tastes like. My Roma tomatoes last year were as hard as billiard balls. I've also found that often the stranger something looks, the better it tastes. A friend said that Kohlrabi looks like "some kinda weird space alien thingy...whatever..." And it does, but its taste is akin to a sweet and tender broccoli stem.

Then there are the truely bizarre, the outliers in which some process of cell division went horribly wrong. I'll post them here as I find them, and feel free to post your own in a similar fashion. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of some of them. Among the missing are the pontoon boat shaped zuchini, The two lobed lemon cucumber, and the V shaped pole bean.


The two headed fairy eggplant. I'll leave it to you to decide which part of the human anatomy this looks like.



Possibly my favorite: the so-called "Frankentuber," the oddest potatoe I've ever seen


2 comments:

Arielita said...

maybe it's the oddball cultivator that creates oddball veggies :)

Emily said...

Hi Jake,

I love kohlrabi, too! Here at the monkey house, I've been feeding Rachel's nephews roasted kohlrabi with a little garlic tossed in at the end of cooking, and a little splash of champagne vinegar or lemon juice. Yum! How have you been preparing kohlrabi?

Emily