Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mom's Onion Tart with Squash

My mom sent me a recipe for an Onion Tart she has whipped up a few weeks ago, so I decided to give it a try this past weekend. However, the acorn squash lingering in my kitchen was begging to be used, and suddenly my tart was destined to be a Squash and Onion Tart, and the results were fabulous.


Onion Filling:
3 cups slices onions
1 c. cubes of roasted squash, cooled (I think I'll use Butternut next time)
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cream
1 egg
1 T. dried sage

Pastry Crust:
1 cup flour
7 T. butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
about 1 T. milk or cream - I used soy milk

Brown the onions in butter and oil. Salt them. Put in a bowl to cool. Mix the cream, salt, sage and egg together, fold in the squash and set aside. Make the crust while the onions are cooling.

Mix together flour, butter and salt like a standard pie crust. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add enough milk to make a dough that barely sticks together. Kneed a couple times and roll out into a circle and place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.

Mix the cream and egg mixture into the onions and then spread on the circle of dough leaving the outside 1 to 1 ½ inches uncovered. Fold the outside edge over the filling, crimping the edge as you go.

Bake for 30 minutes @ 375°, or until the crust is lightly browned.

Ariel and I enjoyed it with roasted Autumn veggies and a big green salad. I can attest to the fact that the absolutely perfect dessert to this meal is posted right below...

2 comments:

Uhleetaw said...

OMG! This looks incredible! I wish you could MAIL me leftovers!
:)

Molly said...

YUM! Omg, cannot wait to make this!