Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Potatoes

First of all, Molly I love that you made an entire thanksgiving dinner from scratch by yourself... sounds like fun! I made lots of stuff this thanksgiving as well, but not quite the whole meal. I promised Becca I would post my recipe for mashed sweet potatoes. This are THE BEST mashed potatoes ever, you gotta try them.

2 lbs sweet potatoes
4 tbs butter
2 tbs heavy cream
1  tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper

Slice the sweet potatoes so they are the same width. In a pan melt butter and heavy cream together. Add sugar, salt, pepper and potatoes. Cook on low heat stirring occasionally  until the potatoes start to fall apart. Transfer contents to a bowl and mash. 
+You can also make a delicious Indian variation by adding 1 tbs of Garam Masala with sugar and salt. After mashing add golden raisons.    

3 comments:

Rachel said...

that is funny. i made sweet mashes potatoes for thanksgiving also. however, i sauteed onions, garlic and fresh sage to add to mine. the sage was very aromatic and added a nice savor flavor. i even covered my potatoes with gravy at dinner. so yummy.

Becca said...

YEEESSS! I bought more Sweet Potatoes yesterday because I'm out of leftovers...

Molly said...

OH man, this is rad. I was really undecided about mashing or baking or whatever - my dad LOVES sweet potatoes. I want to make him these for a sunday dinner sometime. Yum yum yum yum. Oh and Rachel is coming to live with me, and uh, well, lets just say she's a sweet potato monster. Heh.