Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Halloween!!

Ok. Ok. I promised Ariel I would finally put this post up. I got this recipe from Jane Snelling back in the day, and it has remained a favorite of mine for years. It's rather fitting for this time of year, but I think it's always a good fall-back treat. And so easy!



Pumpkin Bars with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

½ c. butter
1 c. brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 egg
1 c. canned pumpkin
1½ c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ginger, allspice, & baking soda. (each)
½ c. chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and pumpkin. Blend flour with spices and blend into the creamed mixture. Add the nuts, and mix well. Spread into a greased 9" x 13" pan, and bake @ 350° for 16-18 minutes.

1 Juicy Orange
1/2 package Cream Cheese
lots of powered sugar (like a cup or two)

I mixed the juice and zest of an Orange into the cream cheese until smooth. Then I added large spoonfuls of powered sugar until it reached the consistency I wanted. I left it kind of runny, and it will set up a little after you spread it over the bars. You could double the amount of cream cheese and use half the orange juice for a thicker, tarter frosting, as well.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

i dunno if i believe that this is jane's recipe. she cooks with LOTS of butter. half a cup just doesn't seem like enough. j/k

Arielita said...

thanks lady!